follow the directions for the assignment Please use 3 references fro Walden University Library. Due April 6, 2018 at 10pm EST
Assignment:Application: Asthma Management
Assignment: Application: Asthma Management
Chronic asthma and acute asthma exacerbation are respiratory disorders that affect children and adults. Advanced practice nurses often assist physicians in providing treatment to patients with these disorders. Sometimes, patients require immediate treatment, making it is essential to recognize and distinguish minor asthma symptoms from serious, life-threatening symptoms. Since symptoms and attacks are often induced by a trigger, nurses must also help patients identify their triggers and recommend appropriate management options. Like many other disorders, there are various approaches to treating and managing care for asthmatic patients. Some approaches work better than others, depending on individual patient factors. One method that supports the clinical decision making of drug therapy plans for asthmatic patients is the stepwise approach, which you explore in this Assignment.
- Review “Asthma” in Chapter 27 of the Huether and McCance text. Identify the pathophysiological mechanisms of chronic asthma and acute asthma exacerbation. Consider how these disorders are similar and different.
- Consider drugs used to treat asthmatic patients, including long-term control and quick relief treatment options for patients.
- Think about the impact these drugs might have on patients, including adults and children.
- Review Chapter 25 of the Arcangelo text. Reflect on using the stepwise approach to asthma treatment and management. Consider how stepwise management assists health care providers and patients in gaining and maintaining control of the disease.
- Think about how to educate patients to develop a plan for medication adherence. Consider how the plan might differ based on the patient’s age.
By Day 7
Write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Describe the pathophysiological mechanisms of chronic asthma and acute asthma exacerbation. Then, explain the changes in the arterial blood-gas patterns during an exacerbation.
- Describe long-term control and quick-relief drugs used to treat asthma in patients.
- Explain the impact these drugs might have on adults and children.
- Explain the stepwise approach to asthma treatment and management and how this approach assists health care providers and patients in gaining and maintaining control of the disease.
- Explain how you would help patients develop a plan for medication adherence, including how the plan might differ based on the patient’s age.
Reminder: The School of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The Sample Paper provided at the Walden Writing Center provides an example of those required elements (available at http://writingcenter.waldenu.edu/57.htm). All papers submitted must use this formatting.