Chemistry Week One Learning Activities
1. Identify the following as an observation (O), a hypothesis (H), an experiment (E), or a conclusion (C).2
a. While conducting a new procedure to peel oranges, John noted that it was faster than the traditional one
b. After repeating a new procedure to peel oranges several times, John realized that it is faster than the traditional procedure.
c. John decided to repeat a new procedure to peel oranges several times to evaluate whether it was faster than the traditional one.
d. John believes that a new procedure to peel oranges will be faster than the traditional one
2. Solve each of the following for x
a. x/2 + 2 = 5
b. 4x – 8 = 24
c. 3x + 4 = 13
d. 7a = 49
e. 2b + 5 = b + 9
3. Write the following in scientific notation
4. Which number in each of the following pairs is larger?
a. 2.3 x 107 or 65300
b. 0.0004 or 5.0 x 10-6
c. 2.54 x 103 or 254
d. 4.5 x 10-5 or 7.4 x 10-6
5. How many significant figures are in each of the following?
6. A sculptor has prepared a mold for casting a bronze figure. The figure has a volume of 675 mL. If the bronze has a density of 7.8 g/mL, how many ounces of bronze are needed in the preparation of the bronze figure?