One way writing is used in the professional world is in resumes and cover letters. These documents are often a potential employee’s first introduction to a prospective employer and can be key in career advancement.
Review the sample cover letter and guidelines for formatting one in the Center for Writing Excellence.
Write a cover letter that is at least 350 words. This cover letter can be for your dream job, for a promotion within your company, or for a potential job you might be interested in.
Consider the following when composing this letter:
- Who is the audience for this letter?
- What are your short-term and long-term career goals?
- What do you already know about the company?
- Why are you interested in this company/role?
- Why are you a good fit for this role? Provide examples.