ATTENTION! THE DISCUSSION IS ABOUT MARGARETH NEWMAN NOT” BETTY NEUMAN”
This module presents Madeline Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care Diversity and Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caring. In each of these theories, care or caring is a defining concept of the discipline of nursing. This Module also discusses Margaret Newman’s Theory of Health as Expanding Consciousness, in which the human being and environment are conceptualized as irreducible fields, open with the environment. The person and environment are continuously changing and evolving through mutual patterning toward greater complexity.
· Smith, M. C., & Parker, M. E. (2015). Nursing theories and nursing practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis. Chapters 16-18
PART 1- DISCUSSION QUESTION
MARGARETH NEWMAN pointed out that.” Nurse client relationships begins during periods of disruption, uncertainty, and unpredictability in patient’s lives.”
IN THE DISCUSSION
Explore what she means by this phrase( explain your finding/ideas)
And reflect on a patient that you cared for that you could apply her theory to
Provide details on the interaction and outcome for you patient (explain this interaction)
PART 2-Assignment: PAPER 1500 TO 1750 WORDS
The assignment this week will be an APA paper to include title page, level heading, and reference page
Case study #1
Mrs. Franklin-Jones was admitted from the Emergency Room to Cardiac Intensive Care one week ago with a diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction. She has recovered as expected and is moving to the cardiac step down unit today. She is talking with Nurse Julie Hernandez, as she gets settled in her new room, “I was really surprised when I got that bad pain in my chest! I knew I had high pressure but I just didn’t think it was that bad. I try to take my medicine like they told me to in the clinic but sometimes I forget. I guess that I need to study those papers they gave me about what foods I should eat and not eat. I better take care of myself! Momma had bad pressure and it killed her! Who knows—I may even have to learn to cook different than I was taught in Jamaica! I may have to let Tomas do the cooking. He’s got more time at home now than I do since he lost his job. There isn’t too much time between my shifts at the school cafeteria and my new housecleaning job. You know my sister is coming up from Jamaica to see me. I think she is bringing me some bush tea. That’ll set me right!”
· Using Leininger’s Culture Care Model, what factors in the story shared by Mrs. Franklin-Jones should be considered by Nurse Hernandez when planning for the patient’s discharge?
· Why is the theory of Culture Care Diversity important in the delivery of nursing care for all patients?
· Using Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care Diversity and Universality, develop a plan of care for Mrs. Franklin-Jones.
· Discuss the strengths and limits to Leininger’s Theory.
Case Study #2
Claude Jean-Baptiste is recovering from post-hip replacement surgery and has been transferred to the Rehabilitation Institute adjacent to the hospital. When he enters the unit, he sees welcoming signs written in several languages including his own, Creole. Since there are no nurses on that shift that speak Creole, they use a language line to ask for translation services. During this initial nursing assessment, the translator informs Mr. Jean-Baptiste that the nurses invite him to have a relative at his side so that they can be sure to understand and meet his needs. He is asked about Haitian customs and beliefs that they might honor. Mr. Jean-Baptiste is encouraged to bring food and spiritual care items, and to share the warmth of his culture with the nursing staff.
· Discuss assumptions of the Transpersonal Caring relationship. What is the nurse’s role?
· How is love, as defined by Watson, evident in this caring moment?
· How can the nurse creatively use self to create a healing environment?
· Discuss the strengths and limits to Watson’s Theory.
This paper should include 2 outside references and your book. The essay should be between 1500 and 1750 words in length.