This Discussion asks you to think about how gender bias can impact scientific research and how the findings of biased research can impact individuals and society.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the Preface, the assigned pages in Chapter 1, and pages 35–47 from Chapter 2 in the course text, Gender: Psychological Perspectives, focusing on why researchers study gender, why researchers include gender as a factor in psychological studies, and how researchers can be biased in their research with regard to gender.
- Think about the following questions:
- What impact does gender bias in research have on interpretation of the results of research studies?
- How does gender bias in research potentially perpetuate the view of what men and women are and should be?
- What impact could the biased research have on individuals of each gender and on society as a whole?
- How does the media then use research findings to inform, persuade, sell, and so forth?
With these thoughts in mind:
By Day 3
Post an analysis of the role of gender bias both in the study of psychology and in the reporting of results by others, including the implications. Provide at least two specific examples for each to illustrate your points.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.