Week 3 Assignment 1: Complicated Pregnancy
You are caring for a 37-year-old female who is pregnant with her second child. The first pregnancy was traumatic as the woman experienced a pelvic fracture during delivery causing excruciating pain. The anxiety from this memory plagues her into this pregnancy. She has been managed on an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety. Her husband is a pharmacist and has attended most visits with the psychiatric-mental health NP for counseling and psychopharmaceutical drug management.
· What would be your initial approach to assessment with this woman/family?
· Would you prescribe an antidepressant? If so, why and which one? Explain the pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, contraindications, pregnancy related issues, legal/ethical considerations, testing (if applicable), side effects and relationship to trimester.
· What would be your overall plan of care? (Be succinct.) Consider supervision/collaboration/type of psychotherapy or complementary modality you might use.
Criteria for this paper:
· Answer these questions succinctly but completely, integrating resources to provide rationale for all decisions.
· Use APA formatting for all components of your paper.
· Your paper should be approximately two to three pages long and in APA format.
· Your paper length should not include the reference page.
· Use at least one nursing journal reference from CINAHL (available through the Regis library) to support your rationale.